Queen South Africa Medal. Heher. Natal Police then Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry and an officer ASC in WWI


Availability: 1 in stock


Correctly named 1544 Tpr AE Heher Natal Police

Albert Edward Heher was born in Charlestown, Natal.

He enlisted as a trooper in the Natal Police on 31/8/1895. He was mobilised for operations in Natal 11/10/1899. Here he earned hi Natal clasp.

He later, at his own request, was discharged and enlisted with Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry on 26/4/1900 with the service number 5475 and he rose to the rank of Sergeant and was therefore among the first to join the Regiment, which had only been raised at Pietermaritzburg on 16 October 1899, and comprised of five hundred irregulars. The Regiment first went into action at Mooi River on 18 November 1899 and subsequently fought as part of General Redvers Buller’s, Ladysmith Relief Force at the battles of Willow Grange and Spion Kop, where it suffered 122 casualties out of a total complement of 194 Officers and men. At Spion Kop on 24 January 1900 overall command of the assaulting force devolved to Lieutenant-Colonel Alexander Thorneycroft, and it was he, who after consultation with the other Regimental Commanding Officers, made the decision to withdraw from the crest to prevent the further loss of life in what had become a totally untenable position.

Heher was discharged in 1901.

From rolls we see him now entitled to the Transvaal and Orange Free State clasps. No record of him earning a Kings South Africa Medal so explains the 1901 clasp.

We see him on the Special List as a Temp Lieutenant on 1/11/1914 and see him gazetted on 29/11/1916 in East Africa 879th Co Army Service Corps. He served in France.

The clasps on the medal, Natal, South Africa 1901, Transvaal and Orange Free State. Only the Natal is secured to the medal. Knowing him to be entitled to the clasps, the rolls state his previous service with the Natal Police. We are unsure if he was sent just the clasps he earned with Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry and never had them correctly fitted.

Albert later worked as a Transvaal Government employee and died in 1934


Scroll to Top