WWI Victory Medal. Donoghue. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. GSW chest, Kidney Hill, Kiretch Tepe Sirt 1915.


Availability: 1 in stock


Correctly named 12870 Pte H Donoghue R Innis Fus

Harry, born c1892, served with the A Company, 6th Bn and entered the Mediterranean Theatre in July 1915. He landed at Suvla Bay and was with hi Battalion at the Battle of Kidney Hill on the 15th August 1915.

6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Omagh in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 31st Brigade in 10th (Irish) Division. Moved to Dublin and by early 1915 was at Kildare. Moved to England April 1915, going to Basingstoke.
Landed at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, on 7 August 1915.

Kiretch Tepe Sirt: 15th – 21st August 1915.

The attack on Chocolate Hill had inflicted eight officer and 92 other rank casualties on the 6th Battalion The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. They were withdrawn on 10 August to rejoin the 10th (Irish) Division where they met up with their sister battalion, the 5th Battalion, at a position in front of Kiretch Tepe Sirt. An attack on its ‘Kidney Hill’ feature by 30 and 31 Brigade was ordered for 15 August and the 5th Battalion’s objective was the spur known as Kidney Ridge; the 6th Battalion was in reserve. Shortly after 1200 hours the 5th Battalion advanced as far as the plain some 500 yards short of the hill. The area was beyond the range of naval gunfire support and the amount of allied artillery support was inadequate. Approaches across the plain at the foot of the hill were well observed and covered by enemy artillery and machine guns. The Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Vanrenen, was killed and the Second-in-Command had no sooner taken command when he too became a casualty. Further gallant attempts to cross the plain were fruitless and the casualties mounted. At 2000 hours the Brigade Commander ordered a withdrawal and a return to the ground occupied at noon. Command had now fallen to Captain Adams who ordered the collection of the wounded before falling back. By midnight over 100 wounded had been recovered but because stretcher bearers were unable to operate so far forward the Inniskillings had to carry their comrades in groundsheets the 600 yards back to the noon line. The recovery was completed by 0400 hours on the morning of 16 August; in all six officers and 28 other ranks had been killed, 14 officers and 230 other ranks wounded and 78 were missing. This was more than half the total strength that had landed at Suvla Bay. The 5th Battalion remained in these trenches, where it sustained further casualties from Turkish artillery fire, until it was withdrawn on 21 August. Such was the rate at which senior officers became casualties that when the Battalion withdrew it was commanded by a Lieutenant.

Harry was shot in the chest and arrived at the Hospital Ship Assaye on the 16th August (day 2). He was later transferred to the SS Canada.

He is entitled to a 1915 Trio and was also awarded the Silver War Badge numbered 51719.

He served from September 1914 until September 1916.

Scroll to Top