WWI British War Medal to 2nd Lt Frederick Hollis. Died in UK after complications with a broken leg. 14th (London Scottish) & 2/6th TF Black Watch. Wood Green, Middlesex.



Out of stock

Correctly named 2 Lieut FA Hollis.

Frederick Alwin Hollis was born in Wood Green, Middlesex in 1887 to Frederick and Rose.

We find him living as a lodger in 1911 at 47 Lambton Road, Wimbledon. He is working as a clerk at Kings Cross Railway station for the Great Northern Railways.

He enlisted into the 14th (London Scottish) London Regiment and went overseas with the to France on the 23rd of April 1915. He is entitled to a 1915 Trio.

He would have gone straight into action with the London Scottish and most likely his first action was around the 8th of May in the are of Richebourg L’ Avouve against the German lines, just north of Festubert.

He returned to the UK to be commissioned and became a 2nd Lieutenant with the 2/6th TF Royal Highlanders (Black Watch). His commission is in the London Gazette dated 21/10/1915.

Frederick was to die from complications after a broken leg which happened after a dinner in the UK. He had received his papers to return overseas with the Black Watch.

He had attended a dinner and afterwards had removed his shoes to dance but stumbled and fell. A medical officer stated he had broken his leg in two places. Complications arose a week later when blood clots from his break detached and instead clotted on his lungs. (see pics for newspaper report from Thetford & Watton Times, Norfolk)

‘Northampton Mercury, 22 Dec 1916’
‘Officer died Hollis, Sec Lieut F A Black Watch, the nephew of Mr S C Simmonds, Salisbury House, Towcester, and the grandson of the late Mr F Hollis, The Parade, Northampton, died suddenly i hospital at Norwich on Sunday last. A month previously he had had a fall and broke his leg, and was going on well, when on Saturday last complications set in, and he died about midnight. Lieut Hollis enlisted in the ranks of the London Scottish, and went to the front with that regiment, being gassed. He did not come home then, but returned later to take up a commission in the Black Watch. He was exceedingly well-known and highly respected at Towcester, and was educated at Dr Knight’s school. His brother, Herbert, has been discharged for medical reasons after serving for some time at the front. He was previously employed at the London offices of the Great Northern Railway, and was 29 years old. Only a week before his death he had orders to again proceed to France, but owing to his accident he was not to go until Apr next. Much sympathy will be felt for his two sisters and brother’

Frederick is buried in Norfolk Cemetery.

The medal has a very long, faded original silk ribbon.

Scroll to Top