WW1 Pair. Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force. Hood. Lowestoft.


Availability: 1 in stock


Correctly named 56809 2AM WC Hood RAF

Walter Cuthbert Hood was born in Hackney in 1883/4 to Charles and Mary Hood.

Pre-war he was working as an Assistant Manager in a matting factory.

He married Margaret Wilkinson Nunn in 1911 and we find him living at 399 London St, Lowestoft. His RAF papers have the address as 9 Church St, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

He attested into the Royal Flying Corps in January 1917 and served in France from September 1917 until April 1919. Interestingly, his RFC papers have him with previous service in the Army although we couldn’t find where he was.

He served as a Rigger with No1 Aircraft Depot/Aeroplane Repair Section that was based in St Omer, south of Dunkirk

No 1 depot was a base repair and maintenance depot with a pilots pool attached for ferrying new aircraft to their respective squadrons and bringing back salvage and spare parts where possible. By 1917 it had nearly 4000 men on it’s strength involved in all aspects of the RFC’s many duties & it held a pivotal role in the battles on the Somme and the 3rd Battle of Ypres (July 1917) issuing no less than 930 aircraft and rebuilding nearly 240 more.

Medals are on original silk ribbons.


Scroll to Top