Correctly named 4547 Pte CJ Holmes Glouc R
Charles James (John) Holmes was born to Robert and Laura In St Pauls, Bristol in 1889.
We see the family are living at 51 Whitehouse St in Bedminster in 1911 when Charles is working as a corn warehouseman.
He is seen to serve with 16 Platoon, D Company of the 2/4th (Territorial Force) with whom it seems he went overseas with in May 1916.
He is reported missing in September of 1916 but records have him as a POW and give his accepted date of death as the 28th of May 1918 which would mean he would have been overseas a very short length of time prior to his capture.
Diaries for the early period of 1916 are missing although we know they were in the UK in the January of 1916.
The 2nd Line battalion was raised on 6 September 1914 and took its place in 2/1st Gloucester and Worcester Brigade in 2nd South Midland Division. The Gloucesters created their 2nd Line by dividing their existing TF battalions in two, rather than creating new ones from scratch. Therefore, although the 2/4th Bn received a higher proportion of recruits it began with the experience of two companies of prewar TF men so it made rapid progress. At first the men lived at home, and little or nothing was available in terms of uniforms, arms or equipment. It was not until the division concentrated at Northampton in January 1915 that the men were issued with .256-in Japanese Ariska rifles with which to train. Here they formed part of First Army of Central Force, but when the 1st South Midland Division went to France, the 2nd took its place at Chelmsford and became part of Third Army of Central Force, with a definite role in Home Defence. The battalions formed their machine gun sections while at Chelmsford, but the strength of the battalions fluctuated widely as they were drawn upon for drafts for their 1st Line battalions. In August 1915 the division was numbered as the 61st (2nd South Midland) Division and the brigade became the 183rd (2nd Gloucester and Worcester) Brigade.
In February and March 1916 the units of 61st (2nd SM) Division moved to Salisbury Plain to begin final training for overseas service. Here they were issued with .303 SMLE rifles in place of the Japanese weapons, and four Lewis guns per battalion in place of dummy guns and antique Maxim guns. Final leave was granted in April and May and entrainment for the embarkation ports began on 21 May. By 28 May the division was concentrating in France.
Unlike the 48th (SM) Division, which had over a year of trench service before undertaking its first attack, the 61st had only a matter of weeks. Each battalion did a short tour of duty for each battalion in the front line near Neuve Chapelle.
He is reported in the Gloucester Journal, dated June the 3rd 1916, as missing.
He is buried at Achiet-Le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension in France.
He is entitled to a WWI Pair, (Victory missing)
The medal has an original silk ribbon.